Beaulieu House is located 2.5 east of Drogheda (towards the coast ),on the North bank of the River Boyne , between the R166 Termonfeckin and R167 Baltray Road. The house overlooks the River Boyne. As it is a family home it is only partly open to the public . It opens from May 1st to mid September from Mondays to Fridays from 11am in the morning until 5pm and at weekends from 1pm -5pm in July and August only The Classic Car Museum is the latest attraction to Beaulieu . Group visits can be arranged outside of these times and it is best to make an appointment if one wishes to visit it.
It was built by Sir Henry Titchbourne, Marshal of the Army in Ireland, and Governor of Drogheda, on the restoration of Charles II, King of England. It is believed to be the finest example of Irish domestic architecture to survive from the Restoration. It was built between 1660 and 1666 and probably designed by a Dutch architect. The present owner is direct descendant of Sir Henry.
Inside the impressive house the walls are adorned with excellent family portraits, as well as a superior collection of the works of many famous Irish artists of the early part of the 20th-century.
The family church in the grounds has a mid 15th-century cadaver tombstone (see St. Peter's Church of Ireland and Churchyard) set against one of its walls. Only about a dozen such tombstones survive in Ireland.
The gardens of Beaulieu overlooking the Boyne are also beautiful and at their best during the months of June & July.
To view video of Beaulieu see http://www.youtube.com/user/DavidMcConnon?feature=mhum
Opening Times: May to September. Please check website for times