Drogheda has a population of over 30,000 & in excess of 67,000 when the environs are included.
Since commencing operations at Drogheda in 1938, Irish Cement has continually invested in enhancing the quality and capacity of production to meet the demand of home and export markets.
Irish Cement’s plant near Drogheda are well situated near large deposits of the raw materials used in cement manufacture.
CRH plc was formed through a merger in 1970 of two leading Irish public companies, Cement Limited (established in 1936, later to become Irish Cement) and Roadstone Limited (established in 1949). The newly formed group was the sole producer of cement and the principal producer of aggregates, concrete products and asphalt in Ireland. In 1970 CRH had sales of c. €26m, 95% in Ireland.
Since that time, CRH’s strategic vision has been to become an international leader in building materials, delivering superior and sustained shareholder returns, while reducing its dependence on individual markets and achieving a balance in its geographic presence and portfolio of products.
CRH now operates in 35 countries, employing approximately 80,00 people at over 3700 locations. Sales in 2009 were c. €17 billion, 85% in the developed economies of Europe and North America and 15% in emerging economies including China and India.« Back